Tuesday 19 March 2013

The Dual Motutapu - Rangitoto Traverse

As I said in my previous post I have decided to give some different MTB events a go this year. First up for me is the Dual, since it's so close to home and I've never been to Motutapu or Rangitoto Island I thought I might as well give it a go! I had the option of a 30km or 50km MTB, since I'm always up for a good challenge I decided I had to do the 50km. So a bit of a background on this event, it's been running for a couple of years now and there are a number of different event options to choose from. There's a marathon, half marathon, off road triathlon, 10km or 6km run/walk and the 30km or 50km MTB, so it's quite a big event!
The 50km MTB starts on Motutapu Island and  then winds it's way over to Rangitoto, up to the very top then back down, around Rangitoto and back to Motutapu island to the finish. Here's the link to a map of the circuit I'll be racing: Map of 50km MTB. The track is a mix of gravel roads, grassy trails and single track through forest and over volcanic terrain. Sound like it's going to be quite a scenic ride! At this point I'm feeling quite good for the race this Saturday, have been training hard, hydrating and eating the right foods, I'm feeling well prepared. I'm really excited and looking forward to the challenge of 50kms, it's quite a change from the Downhill!

Another thing I am super, super excited about is the bike I'll be riding! A Scott Scale 29er!! Which Avanti Plus Waitakere have kindly lent me while my new bike is being built up, so excited it's going to be the coolest bike out there!! (besides my Scott Gambler downhill bike that is!). Have taken the Scale out for a couple of rides already and it is AMAZING! So fast I can actually beat my brothers on it for once! :) Looking forward to racing it this weekend, especially coz my bike's got Schwalbe's Rocket Ron tires on it! My fave tires to run on my xc bike, fast rolling and lightweight the best tire's to run for speed and efficiency, which is exactly what I'll be needing this weekend.

Better get my beauty sleep, I'm going to need all the energy I can get come Saturday, watch out out for an update from me soon on how Saturday went.  

                 

No comments:

Post a Comment