Monday 25 March 2013

The Dual

Well that certainly was a different kind of challenge to what I had anticipated despite all my preparation and training for the 50km MTB at the dual, it didn't go quite as I had planned... Thursday afternoon I dropped my bike down at rego, there were soo many bikes lined up, it was going to be a big event. I was really excited seeing all these bikes waiting to go over on the ferry to Motutapu! My borrowed Scott Scale bike, thanks to Avanti Plus Waitakere, was cleaned, chain was oiled, thanks to Morgan Blue for the wicked lube! It was in tip top condition soon to be transported over to Motutapu Island. I had everything planned out, I always like to be well organised before races so I had my pack sorted with spare tub, chain links etc, had my nutrition sorted knew exactly what I was going to eat and when, had been drinking heaps of water so I was well hydrated and overall I was feeling well prepared to give the 50km race a good solid effort.

Saturday morning I was up at the break of dawn ready to race, after a good nights sleep I was really excited but also nervous about the race ahead. We had a smooth ferry ride over but arrived a bit later than I expected so I wanted to find my bike straight away and start warming up. I picked my bike up, only to find the derailleur hanger had broken!! The bike had left Auckland in mint condition, as I had given it a good clean and checked it over, I can only assume it took quite a knock on the trip over to Motutapu. Lucky for me there was a bike mechanic on hand at the event, so he did what he could, he didn't have any spare derailleur hangers, but he could single speed it for me. I was grateful to the speedy mechanic for getting it up and running so fast so I could race.
Home Bay, Motutapu where all the race's began...
I made it to the start line just before the horn went! I was off, my legs spinning around frantically trying to match the pace of the other riders and I managed quite well up the first hill because I had the perfect gear for the uphills. I pushed my legs hard all the way to the top knowing once I got the flat sections it would be hard to keep up a good pace with the single speed. To my amazement I actually found myself looking forward to the uphills!! Once I got to the climb that led to the top of Rangitoto, I pushed my legs hard to get up the hill as fast as I could. I had to go really fast up the hills to make up for being slower on the flat areas. The decent from Rangitoto was by far the best bit of the track, it was super fast downhill with loose rocks and gravel. It was pretty sketchy but so fun! The 29er loved it! It handles so nicely over rough bumpy sections, way better than my 26er. I pinned it down round all the gravelly corners, my trusty Rocket Rons hooking all the corners. Once I got to the bottom I had a long windy flat stretch ahead of me. I started to figure out a strategy so I could keep my speed up, it was impossible to keep my legs continuously spinning at such a high cadence so I decided I to do intervals. Before I even got to start with this, I heard an ominous sound from my chain, it slipped up the cassette and the tension was too much for it so it snapped!! I used my chain link in an attempt to fix it, but I’m no mechanic, I managed to get it working again but the tension just wasn't right so it kept trying to jump rings and threaten to snap again. I really didn't want to give up but it wasn't looking so great, I pushed on anyway and ran/walked my bike to all the downhills, the Rocket Rons proved they certainly are fast rolling, when I had to pump down the hills! I didn't get to finish the race which I was pretty gutted about but these things happen and at least I got to do the best part, the decent from Rangitoto!


Despite not being able to complete the 50km, it was a cool event to be a part of, there was a huge crowd with a great atmosphere. It was cool to see some Jafakid riders out there competing also and doing so well! It was also cool to support an event which brings in money to plant native trees on the Island and keep it a pest free sanctuary for New Zealand’s native animals, predominantly the Takahe which is one of NZ's most endangered species. I'm defiantly going to have to give it a go again next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment