Thursday 13 June 2013

AKDH Woodhill Downhill

This weekend just been was the annual AKDH Woodhill Downhill, a race which has been hosted by the Auckland Downhill club and Woodhill for three years now. It's held on Woodhill's famous "SPCA" trail, a flowly, downhill track with some nice berms, a few decent sized jumps and a sandpit at the bottom if it hasn't rained for a while! It's a great event, which brings together not just downhill riders but cross country racers, bmx racers and those racing for a laugh at the "16 inch National Champs!"

The basic format is you get in as many practice runs as you can in the morning, (with a shuttle running you to the top each time) then you get two timed race runs, and if you're game to ride a 16 inch bike down the trail you can enter both your age group category and the 16 inch National Champs. Which I decided to do! For a bit of a laugh I thought I might as well see if I could get my hands on a 16 inch bike and give it a go. Thanks to trade me I got myself this mean machine!

Unfortunately I did not end up getting to race it on Sunday, I had some real good runs in the morning and had the track sussed, on my last practice run down I was chasing my youngest brother, got a little too close and stump jumped out at me! I went flying over my bike and saw stars! Lucky for me my bike was all good, and my body only a little battered with my head taking the biggest hit. I ended up sitting the race out (much to my disappointment :( ) but the medic didn't think riding again that day was very good idea. I'll make sure I'm in front of my brother next time!! :) Lucky for Peter, he got to ride my mean black and green machine (which he had been eyeing up...).

Stoked to see Peter take 2nd in U19 and my youngest bro Liam take the win in U15. Great to see such a good turn out on what threatened to be a pretty wet, cold day, awesome to see some Jafakids's out there getting great results; shot Josh in 2nd and Issac 4th (both in U17), Jake 5th (U15) and Hayden close behind in 6th. Well done guys! Hopefully next year we see some more of you Jafa's out there!

Thanks AKDH for putting on another successful Woodhill DH race, and everyone who volunteered their time to help out and make the event happen!      

No comments:

Post a Comment